- EXCESSIVE sweetness may lead to a bitter end – diabetes, a disease that is causing more deaths a year than breast cancer and AIDS combined.
- And two out three people with diabetes eventually die from heart disease or stroke.
- The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) estimates that some 285 million people worldwide will live with diabetes next year.
- They include 1.84 million Malaysians, aged from 20 to 79, or 6.8% of the population.
- IDF also predicts that close to 24,000 Malaysians will die of the disease next year.
- Malaysians are also getting diabetes at an earlier age while a third with diabetes are not aware they have the disease.
- Malaysia ranks 17th highest out of 216 countries, with a comparative prevalence rate of 11.6%. The country with the highest rate is Nauru, with a third (30.9%) of its 8,800 population affected the disease.
- In conjunction with World Diabetes Day yesterday, Malaysians should note that their favourite cup of teh tarik (350ml) contains about six teaspoonfuls of sugar. The recommended daily intake of sugar is 50gm or 10 teaspoonfuls
DIABETES FACTS WORLDWIDE
-Each year 7 million people develop diabetes!
-Every 10 seconds = 1 person dies from diabetes related causes = 2 develop diabetes
- 7 of 10 countries with the highest number of diabetes are in the developing country (malaysia rank num 17)
-In 1970's Malaysians only consumed 17 teaspoonfuls of sugar per person per day but it is UP TO 24 now!
MALAYSIA ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A 'SICK NATION', WARNS HEALTH EXPERT.
What to do about it?
It is VITAL for people to CONTROL THEIR DIET,
lead a HEALTHY LIFE-STYLE
watch out for early symptom such as FEELING THIRSTY,NEEDING TO URINATE FREQUENTLY, EASILY FATIQUE, LOSS OF BODY WEIGHT DESPITE REGULAR EATING, WOUND THAT DO NOT HEAL AND ITCHINESS AROUND THE GENITALS.